Custom Pages

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Revisiting a design

I keep several design binders where I store pieces of finished tatting as well as hand drawn diagrams for each pattern I make. Sometimes I leaf through the pages, looking for a small gift to put into a card, or to get inspiration for new creations.

Most of the designs are finished and have either been placed on my blog or in my Etsy shop, but once in a while I store something that I intend to work on later. While looking through last year's binder, I kept seeing a snowflake that I started in July. I set it aside because I didn't like the way it looked, but over time I started to think..."Oh, that's not so bad."

I had written a note to myself to make a few of the chains longer to increase the negative space, so a couple of weeks ago, that's what I did:


The snowflake on the left was tatted in July of last year, while the one on the right was tatted just recently. In the end, I think I'll go with a happy medium, and use a chain length right in between the two tatted samples above.

I had also wanted to invert the clovers in the middle of the snowflake, to create a design that could be completed in one round. I just finished that up a few days ago, and as you can see it creates a much different visual effect when compared to the first design. The new snowflake is in the upper right corner of the following photo:


As usual, I have been distracted away from old projects and have found myself drawing and tatting snowflakes again! I feel like I'm more inclined to make snowflakes when the weather is nice. Perhaps that's because I get sick of all of the cold and snow in the winter, and I don't want to tat things that remind me of it.

I'm working on a few designs that I drew with the Amaziograph app (this is my first real test of the program), and I hope to share some photos in the next few weeks.

6 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

I love your snowflakes, I like them both with or without the longer chains they are both lovely
The three designs are beautiful, I look forward to seeing what you with the designs and new ones you are playing with,

God's Kid said...

Totally awesome snowflakes!!! :) I like all three equally!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

All of your snowflakes are lovely! I totally understand not wanting to tat snowflakes when the weather is bad.

Jane McLellan said...

Beautiful! It's interesting how different the inward facing clovers look compared to the outward facing ones.

muskaan said...

I can barely make out any difference between the first 2 ;-P But the inward facing clovers create a whole other look - love it !

Sarah said...

Fascinated by the difference when you invert the clovers. Lovely negative space.