Custom Pages

Friday, November 17, 2017

Easier than expected

Designing this round wasn't bad at all. Tatting it, on the other hand, took some time:


To help with the design, I rendered a polar grid on Inkscape and printed it out. I used some spare thread to create a small tatted sample, and held the doily up to the grid to make sure that everything fit. I forgot to take photos of that, but here's the doily and polar grid side by side:


I took Sue's advice from the tatting design class, and placed my polar grid into a clear plastic sheet. This ensures that no ink gets on the tatting.

Here you can see the small sample I tatted before coming up with the final stitch counts. On the bottom is the sample, and on the top is the in progress tatting:


I eventually had to cut off the sample so I could complete the round:


The doily will need one more round before it is finished. It will be simple, just a trimming along the outer edge.

16 comments:

il mio chiacchierino said...

semplicemente meraviglioso complimenti

Margarets designer cards said...

Fabulous design and lovely doily

God's Kid said...

It's an awesome design already!!!!!! :)

Małgoś 13 said...

Serwetka jest piękna.

Bernice said...

That is wonderful Robin. It looks great.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty!
StephanieW

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

It's beautiful! I've only been able to attend the design class once. I hope to be able to participate again soon!

Jenn said...

Gorgeous! Love the latest round :).

Jane McLellan said...

Ooh, yes, that's very pretty.

Unknown said...

Very beautiful!

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

That round really makes a difference. So beautiful!

muskaan said...

I love how that off-center picot has brought in a spinning effect !!!

Joschaocchi said...

Wunderschön

GraceT said...

Lovely! And you make it look so easy! :-O

Fox said...

Wonderful!

Lavinia said...

It is gorgeous, even without the outer edge!