Designing this round wasn't bad at all. Tatting it, on the other hand, took some time:
To help with the design, I rendered a polar grid on Inkscape and printed it out. I used some spare thread to create a small tatted sample, and held the doily up to the grid to make sure that everything fit. I forgot to take photos of that, but here's the doily and polar grid side by side:
I took Sue's advice from the tatting design class, and placed my polar grid into a clear plastic sheet. This ensures that no ink gets on the tatting.
Here you can see the small sample I tatted before coming up with the final stitch counts. On the bottom is the sample, and on the top is the in progress tatting:
I eventually had to cut off the sample so I could complete the round:
The doily will need one more round before it is finished. It will be simple, just a trimming along the outer edge.