Custom Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Making Masks

Over the past month, I've been sewing fabric face masks. The kitchen table has been temporarily repurposed as a sewing area:


Prior to this, my sewing experience was limited to home economics class in 7th grade. However, I had accumulated most of the equipment needed (from wanting to try different crafts in the past) and just had to take things out of storage. I did need to buy more fabric, some dedicated fabric scissors, and elastic though.

I decided to follow a video tutorial and pattern by Lorrie Nunemaker because I found it easiest to understand as a beginner. I adjusted the pattern a little (slimmed down ear edges) so I could incorporate elastic instead of fabric ties. These masks have a filter pocket, and you can even incorporate a nose wire if you carefully push it through the upper seam of the filter pocket. Here is a batch of masks I made for myself:



Here are some more masks that I made for family members and others who need them:





Although most of my craft time has been taken up by sewing, I have still been working on my mini flake project in tatting. I've now written and tested 20 of the 40 patterns. More updates on that in the coming months.

6 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

Your masks look lovely and well done, I am thinking of making some but we have not been told to wear them yet. Like you it’s many many years since I did any sewing and it will have to be by hand as I don’t have a sewing machine, not needed one for a long time so not bothered to get a new one. I will be following your link. Thanks for sharing the link.

Jane McLellan said...

Good job!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very nice! I've made three versions of masks and have yet to find one that I like for myself. Luckily, others have wanted the ones I've made, so none of them have gone to waste. I will check out this tutorial. Maybe this one will work for me!

I'm eager for your snowflake book! I have lots of thread to use up!

Robin Perfetti said...

Thanks Margaret, Jane and Diane! Margaret, this mask would be time consuming if you were to hand sew it, but if you only need to make a few it should be ok. However, I did notice several YouTube tutorials for hand sewn masks while I was searching for a good pattern. Might be worth it to browse some videos.

Madtatter80 said...

Beautiful masks and lots of work you have put into this. I too used to see all the time and it's all I can do to to get around to it 😃💐😃

Lucifer Smith said...

China melt blown fabric manufacturers