Custom Pages

Monday, January 18, 2021

New Pattern

 I made a new pattern called Candy Heart. It's available in my Etsy shop (if you want to check it out you can do so by clicking HERE)


The hearts pictured above are tatted in size 80 DMC Special Dentelles, color #210 and color #603. The pattern contains two versions: Candy Heart (pictured on the left) and Candy Heart with Border (pictured on the right).

I also made a few in Liz Metallic thread (colors are Rose on the left and Raspberry Pink on the right):


The construction is similar to my Classic Heart tatting pattern, but I think the Candy Heart is quicker and easier to make. The only advanced technique is a self closing mock ring at the bottom of the heart. Other than that, it's just rings, chains, picots, regular joins, and lock joins.

I've actually been enjoying tatting this pattern, and made samples in DMC size 80, Lizbeth size 20, and Liz Metallic. I may tat a few more over the coming weeks:


One thing to note about this pattern: the Candy Heart (above left) is designed to lay flat with minimal to no blocking. However, the Candy Heart with Border (above right) is designed to cup after closing Round 1:


This is done intentionally, to prevent ruffling after Round 2 is added. As you add Round 2, the design will flatten out, which you can see in the photo below. This sample is tatted in Lizbeth size 20, color #127 Butterfly Breeze:


If you are curious, here is a photo of the ruffling that would occur if Round 1 is tatted flat: 


Anyhow, all of this is mentioned on page 7 of the Etsy pattern, but I just wanted to go into a more detailed explanation here in case it would be helpful.

6 comments:

God's Kid said...

Fabulous hearts!!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love this pattern! I tatted my first one last night!

Robin Perfetti said...

Thank you Sue! Thanks Diane, glad to hear you like the pattern :)

Tat-a-Renda said...

This is a pretty perfect heart design.
Thank you for the explanation especially the anti-ruffling step. I often find this happening in my designs, i.e. the next round to straighten a bowling/ruffling effect of the previous round.

Margarets designer cards said...

I love this heart pattern and lovely design,
Thank you for explaining the design can ruffle

Robin Perfetti said...

Thanks Jon and Margaret. It’s rare for me to be pleased with my patterns but I am happy with this one 😊