Custom Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A new snowflake (but please, no more snow!)

It seems I cannot stay away from tatting for very long! I know it's getting warmer, and I don't want to think about snow for awhile, but I designed another snowflake over the weekend.

You see, the nurse practitioner at the doctor's office saw me tatting a few years back, and I promised her a snowflake. Every time I go back, she's not there! (At my last visit, I ended up giving a snowflake ornament to the doctor instead.) Well, I want to be prepared with a new design for whenever I do get to see her, so that's how this snowflake came about :)


I designed a large snowflake so that it could be tatted in small thread. It came out a bit smaller than expected (3.5 inches from top to bottom in DMC size 80), but is still a pretty good size.


Below is the original concept, sketched in Kaleidoscope Drawing Pad. It contains a series of 12 rings in the center, which I found to be a little unstable.


I often alter designs as I go along, and this time was no different. Each time I change a design, I edit my drawing so that I can have a guide to compare my progress to. Here is the edited version:


And one last photo (fully dried after blocking with a damp paper towel):


11 comments:

muskaan said...

You've done it again, Robin ! I like the way the chains curve to create beautiful shapes :-)

Cindy said...

It turned out beautifully! I so admire your designing ability - truly an art form. And I agree - NO MORE SNOW, PLEASE!

Jenn said...

Gorgeous snowflake!!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I may get snowballs thrown at me, but we had about 3" of snow on Monday, and I loved it! It's all melted now, so I guess I'll have to get my snow fix by tatting some flakes. I love your new design! I have played with that app, but I haven't come up with anything that makes me feel like a designer. Maybe we should get together so that I can have a personal tutorial session! ;-)

Margarets designer cards said...

What a gorgeous snowflake, I love the pattern, it will be large when i tat it as I can't tat size 80 thread my eyes are not good enough, I am sure whatever thread used it will be beautiful.
Margaret

God's Kid said...

Very elegant snowflake!!! :)

Robin Perfetti said...

I'm not sure that there are any secrets other than persistence and quantity. In the time I've had the App, I must have made over 400 drawings! Only a handful reach the stage of "This would make a neat design."

les Frivolités de Pandore said...

It's absolutely beautiful !

Phyllis said...

Beautiful snowflake.

Madtatter80 said...

I must have missed this post for a while I love this flake and the little downward facing chains look great!

Unknown said...

Ваша снежинка очаровательна! Я сплела такую, у меня получилось! Благодарю Вас за вдохновение и желаю Вам успехов.