Custom Pages

Saturday, September 9, 2017

A quarter of the way

I'm now a quarter of the way through the large onion ring magic square. Here's what it looks like:


This pattern is completed in one pass, and for those interested in following along, I've made a rough guide. I have numbered each onion ring and placed arrows between them to show the order of operations. The numbers are a bit hard to see, but I'm hoping that opening the image in a new tab will make them readable:


The triangular section above represents one pattern repeat. Complete four repeats to form a large magic square. The two small rings immediately after onion ring #43 are the beginning of the second repeat. Here is another photo, without numbers, for comparison:


In size 40 thread, the completed square should measure 13 inches by 13 inches. It will be several more months before I can finish the square, and I will keep my blog updated as I make progress.

9 comments:

God's Kid said...

Awesome!!! :)

Margarets designer cards said...

That is beautiful I love the colours, I am going on holiday tomorrow but when I come back I will have another look at this I love onion rings

Jane McLellan said...

It's magnificent already!

Frivole said...

It looks amazing Robin!

Corina said...

amazing tatting!

Kathy Niklewicz said...


The whole thought process for creating this idea is fantastic, and your skill at drawing the diagram is also top-notch. I can easily read the numbers with the photo enlarged. I hope to give this a try! However, I can't imagine doing a piece as large as Anna's! A square (or even a triangle) would give me great satisfaction.

ShuttleCreations said...

Beautiful pattern!! wish I could tat this

Just4tatts said...

I've made it as far as the first 4 connected onion rings. I thought it would be difficult to keep track, but having the 4x4 to compare to has made it easier. Not many changes in stitch counts. I'm using only a single color, and I'm not sure how much of this discontinued thread I have, so I may have to stop soon unless I opt for a triangle shaped finish.

Liz L. said...

This whole concept of the triangles continuously is Amazing, and Awesome. than k you for sharing, - and opening up a whole new world to me! I have returned to tatting after a gap of about 40 years - and I was self=-taught before then - when in my late teens!! So with split rings, mock rings, and many "new" techniques it is like starting a whole new craft!! And I Love it!! I am learning SO much...!
Happy Christmas from Australia.