Custom Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Blocking Snowflakes

I'm almost done making snowflakes for the year. These have been blocked and stiffened with Mod Podge Extreme Glitter. They are not attached to each other, just laid out on the table to form one giant snowflake:


I've been using a polar grid that I printed out from Inkscape to block the latest snowflakes. I placed each grid into a plastic sheet protector, to protect the tatting from the ink on the paper (and also to prevent the stiffener from sticking to the blocking surface).


I haven't been pinning the tatting because I don't know how that would work with a sheet protector, and I also don't want the pins to get stuck to the Mod Podge stiffener. The stiffener makes it so that I can push the tatting into place by hand and it will stay.

If you'd like a copy of the snowflake blocking template, you can access and print it HERE. I've also put a link to the template at the top of my Tutorials page.

I made a few of these snowflakes in smaller thread to see how big they would be. Here's a comparison with measurements listed under each snowflake:


It was pretty difficult to get the Josephine knots to close using size 80, so I won't be making any more in this thread. Size 20 works the best, and size 40 is alright too.

10 comments:

God's Kid said...

Great snowflakes!! :)
Thanks for the blocking info. :)

Jane McLellan said...

A friend of mine was using modge podge yesterday, I wonder if the glitter version is available here. You could join the snowflakes to make a mat with interesting negative spaces.

jennytats said...

Hi.

I have never used mod lodge for stiffening. Do you use it just as it is or do you dilute it?

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Thank you for the template, Robin! I printed one out a few years ago, but have no idea where I put it. This one is going right in to a sleeve protector and then in to my binder filled with your patterns. I hope I find time to go shopping for Glitter Mod Podge!

Robin Perfetti said...

jennytats, I use the Mod Podge as is. I apply it to both sides of my tatting with a foam brush and then blot thoroughly with a paper towel to remove excess stiffener. I'd recommend trying it on a sample piece of tatting first to see if you like it.

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful snowflakes and of course a beautiful patterns as always

Madtatter80 said...

Thanks for the size chart always handy I have to check to see if I got this pattern I want to make so many and I always start so late in the year :)

OdnowionaJa said...

Absolutely stunning snowflakes, bravo. :)
Greetings from Poland. :)

Andrea Bee said...

Thank you for posting the blocking template! I am just about ready to use it. You're the best!

muskaan said...

I have printed out templates (for designing) but am too lazy to use them for blocking. Thanks for the template - hopefully this will spur me on to do a bit more ;-P
Beautiful tatting as always !