Custom Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Edging for the Onion Ring Magic Square

I've created an edging for the onion ring square #2 and onion ring magic square #2.


In Lizbeth size 20 thread, the smaller square measures 4 inches across and the larger square measures 7 inches across. The small square has an edging with decorative picots and the large square has a clean edging. Substitute one for the other depending on your preference. The edging can be repeated and attached to larger versions of the magic square as well.

The pattern for the squares can be found by clicking HERE, and the edging is instructed below.

Due to irregular distances between joining picots, I had to get creative with the stitch counts for the chains. Pay close attention to the chains and what parts of the square they are attached to. Here is a photo of the stitch counts for the small square with decorative picots:


Written instructions are below (see photo above for join locations, see the Reading the Patterns page of the Onion Ring Magic Square pattern for abbreviations)

Beginning at the set of 7-7 rings in the lower left of the photo:

*Ring: 7 - 7 (during repeats, join this ring to the previous onion ring)
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain 6 + 4, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain 7 + 2 - 3 - 1 + (CWJ to prev ring) 1 - 3 - 2 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 7 + 5, RW

Corner Flower
Ring: 10 + 5 - 5
Ring: 5 + 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 5
Ring: 5 + 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 5
Ring: 5 + 5 - 10, RW

Chain: 5 + 7, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain 7 + 2 - 3 - 1 + (CWJ to prev ring) 1 - 3 - 2 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 4 + 6, RW
Ring: 7 + 7
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain: 6 + 9, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain 7 + 2 - 3 - 1 + (CWJ to prev ring) 1 - 3 - 2 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 9 + 6, RW*

Repeat instructions between asterisks around the square.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a photo of stitch counts for the large square with a clean edge (no decorative picots). Right click and open in a new tab for a larger photo:


Written instructions are below.

Beginning at 7-7 rings where numbering starts in the photo:

*Ring: 7 - 7 (during repeats, join this ring to the previous onion ring)
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain: 6 + 4, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain: 7 + 6 + (CWJ to prev ring) 6 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 7 + 5, RW

Ring: 7 + 7
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain: 5 + 7, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain: 7 + 6 + (CWJ to prev ring) 6 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 4 + 6, RW
Ring: 7 + 7
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain: 6 + 9, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain: 7 + 6 + (CWJ to prev ring) 6 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 9 + 6, RW
Ring: 7 + 7
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain: 6 + 4, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain: 7 + 6 + (CWJ to prev ring) 6 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 7 + 5, RW

Corner Flower
Ring: 10 + 5 - 5
Ring: 5 + 10 - 5
Ring: 5 + 10 - 5
Ring: 5 + 5 - 10, RW

Chain: 5 + 7, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain: 7 + 6 + (CWJ to prev ring) 6 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 4 + 6, RW
Ring: 7 + 7
Ring: 7 - 7, RW
Chain: 6 + 9, DNRW, SS

Onion Ring
Ring: 10 - 10, RW
Chain: 7 + 6 + (CWJ to prev ring) 6 - 7 + (LJ to base of ring), RW, SS

Chain: 9 + 6, RW*

Repeat instructions between asterisks around the square.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These instructions were written from my samples and have NOT been test tatted for accuracy. If you notice any errors please contact me so that I can fix them.

15 comments:

God's Kid said...

Absolutely outstanding and gorgeous!!! :)
Thank you for sharing!!!

Vera said...

Egyszerűen gyönyörű!!!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

This is a wonderful gift from you in time for International Tatting Day! Your magic square concept and the edging are outstanding. And you're so generous in giving us the pattern plus the excellent photo with the knot counts!

Every time I look at your tatting and your designs I'm glad I'm sitting down! I am always in awe of the excellence of your concepts. designs and tatting skills, especially since you learned to tat only in 2012! You have also taken computer designing and 'logic' and precision to another level.

I somehow missed several of your recent posts, and didn't realize you had also designed a doily as a tribute to Jan. I actually thought it WAS Jan's design because of the name! I think you should put your name in there such as 'Robin's Doily - Inspired by Jan'! It's a fabulous design and perfectly tatted. I love both versions but I really admire the one with color.

Also, those shuttles are amazing!

I wish my hands were letting me tat more comfortably these days, but that is not the case, unfortunately. I'm hoping warmer weather will somehow bring about improvement.

Jane McLellan said...

The edging finishes it off beautifully.

West Pine Creations said...

OH, WOW I'm blown away.

Anonymous said...

My of my, I'm beyond happy with this edging. Thank you for your beautiful work. Can't wait to pick up my onion square and add this delightful border.
Shirla

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Wow! Your edging is fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

muskaan said...

Trying to decide which I like better ... I'll go with the picot-ed one this time - not that you're asking ;-P

Nami Jewelry said...

So beautiful! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Both edgings are beautiful!
StephanieW

Margarets designer cards said...

I love both edgings thank you for sharing the pattern

Fox said...

This is terrific. Thanks.

Cindy said...

The edging is beautiful - I really love the onion rings and the magic squares - and now this. I love it. Working on edging a square already ❤️ Thank you!

Barbara Gordon said...

Thank you for sharing this. I just love it..! Hugs..

Batty Tatter said...

I've made Onion Ring Magic Square #1. I like it. But I don't know how to add more squares to it. Can you help me with that, please?