Custom Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A New Binder

I've been taking part in a few of the online Tatting Designer's Classes that meet every Tuesday on Chatzy. Sometimes they talk about keeping a notebook to store design ideas, notes, and patterns. All of my sketches are made and stored on my iPad, so I don't have a notebook for that. What I do have is a design binder, where I put samples of my finished pieces as well as written instructions for completion. Earlier this year, I noticed that my binder was getting quite full, and it was time to get a new one.


The old binder (the one in back) holds about 20 patterns that I designed or adapted from 2014 to 2015. Some of these have variations so there are more than 20 pages in there. The reason it doesn't hold more is because I put a sample of the finished tatting into each plastic sleeve, which adds a lot of bulk to the binder:


I blogged about this binder a few years ago when I was first starting it out. I've made about 10 patterns per year, and if I continue at this rate my new binder will be filled by the end of 2017.

Right now, the new binder just has a few small doilies in it. This is the latest one I am working on, which still needs some adjustments:


I'd like to make the points a little smaller, and make a couple of other changes so that the doily lays flat. I think this would look interesting in two colors, using one color to outline the other.

11 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I like the plain one, it would look like a star explosion with colors, then placing colors another way you could see two squares. Looks like a fun pattern to try :)

Bernice said...

Robin, you are such a great designer. I just may need to visit the online designers group and start putting some of my ideas to paper. Using a binder and keeping a sample tatted piece is a great idea.

God's Kid said...

Wonderful idea of the binders!! :)
Love that doily!! :)

annakatarzyna said...

Great idea!

Jane McLellan said...

Good way of keeping track of your designs. I have a binder of patterns that I've printed from the internet that is definitely bursting at the seams.

Robin Perfetti said...

Thanks Bernice. You should come join us! Just email Georgia Seitz for details about the Online Tatting Class (her website can be found with a Google search).

Margarets designer cards said...

I have a blinder to keep the patterns I have from the Internet, it's a great idea to have another one for your own patterns
Margaret

Jenn said...

I keep forgetting and sleeping in for the designer classes! Will try wake up early this week or be home for the evening session :). Great idea to use the binders. This year I will have more time and would like to have a go at designing at least one thing :).

Julita said...

Please provide information if you are here in San Francisco Bay Area, thank you!

Robin Perfetti said...

No, though it would make perfect sense, I'm not near The City by the Bay. I'm actually on the East coast near the Chesapeake Bay as well as many smaller bays that I like to visit in the spring and summer. Also, Bay is a nickname of mine.

muskaan said...

You are too organized & methodical for my clumsy distracted mind :-)
Love your black-with-flowers binder, but more importantly what is Inside these binders .
I face some other problems - keeping my 3D pieces ; sketching or jotting down ideas on the paper closest to me ; remembering the pattern or ideas that came to me just as I was falling asleep (or in my dreams), LOL.
Really wish I could make it to the earlier session, but we had a great group for the afternoon session, too. So glad Sue decided to continue with both.