Custom Pages

Friday, April 6, 2018

Liz Metallic samples

Yesterday, I finished tatting up the samples of Liz Metallic thread that Diane sent me. I wanted to try the more muted colors in the gold and silver range. Pictured below, top row: Iridescent, Sand Dollar, and Gold Dust. Bottom row: Silver and Frappe.


Here are my overall thoughts about the thread. Firstly, it sparkles a lot more in person than the photographs will show. However, it is slightly less bright and less sparkly than the Oren Bayan gold and silver thread I talked about in my previous post. This is only noticeable if you put the two samples side by side, and is not something I can capture very well in photos.

The Liz Metallic is a really strong thread. It's six cord, and thick. I cannot break it with my hands. (The Oren Bayan is only 3 cord, and I can break it with my hands, though I had no trouble with breakage when closing rings).

When compared with cotton threads, the metallic thread is stiffer and rougher. I tat a little more slowly to compensate for that. I tried five different colors, and four of them were easy to work with. The exception is the Iridescent color, pictured below:


The Iridescent thread looks and feels different than the other metallics. It's not as sparkly, and has more of a pearl look. As for feel? Well, I can only describe it as gummy or gluey. It doesn't have any residue or anything like that, but the thread gets stuck, especially when closing rings. There were a few times I didn't think I'd be able to close the ring and had to put a lot of force into it. Due to the difficulties, I cannot recommend this color for shuttle tatters. If you are a needle tatter, it might work because the stitches aren't as tightly wrapped onto the core thread.

All of the other colors tatted just fine. Rings were easy to close, and some of the metallics slid better than a cotton thread. For these, it's really up to what colors you prefer. I like Silver, pictured below:


I also like Sand Dollar (pictured next to Iridescent for accurate color representation):


Gold Dust is okay, but has a slight greenish undertone to it. I still ordered a ball of Gold Dust so I could finish my motif:


Frappe is a cross between silver and gold, and also has a slightly greenish undertone to it:


Lastly, I'd like to mention the size of the Liz Metallic thread. It is supposed to be comparable to a size 20. However, when I tatted a sample in Lizbeth size 20 white, I saw that it is not the case:


This star motif is from the doily on the cover of Jan Stawasz's Tatted Treasures. As you can see, there is a pretty noticeable size difference between the Lizbeth 20 white (above left) and the Liz Metallic Iridescent (above right). I don't have any size 10 thread to compare this to, but I would guess that the Liz Metallics are somewhere between a size 10 and a size 20. (Just for reference, the other Liz Metallic samples I tatted were exactly the same size as the Iridescent sample pictured above).

Overall, I found the Liz Metallics to be enjoyable to work with and a fun alternative to cotton thread. I ended up ordering six different colors and I'll have to figure out some small projects to make with them. I think this thread has a lot of potential. I'd love to see it in a smaller size in the future, as it might be more suitable for jewelry. I also think a black metallic would be interesting, though I don't know if they have any plans on expanding their color line.

If you have any questions about my experience with the Liz Metallic thread, feel free to ask in the comment section below.

8 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I really enjoyed reading your comments and I too just received my samples from Diane today and have plans for one colors already. You know I used to sew with a sewing machine and made a prom dress that had metallic in the fabric and my regular cotton thread kept breaking, after a few phone calls to friends I had to spray where I was going to sew with,with WD-40 (its found in auto parts places it is oil like)and then there was no problems. I guess I understand the troubles with metallics you could say and glad lizbeth seems to have a product that can slide with most of the colors. You should write your black suggestion in to handy hands and win some thread cause that's a great idea. Have great day tat it away from Carollyn

Lavinia said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this thread. I also think it would be interesting to have it in smaller sizes for jewellery. I wonder if it would still have the same strength that way though... I'm not familiar with metallic thread.

God's Kid said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the metallic threads!!! :) I agree with Madtatter80 that you should sent in your suggestion to Handy Hands!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your review of the threads is spot on in my opinion! Thanks for writing about the threads so succinctly. I don't seem to be able to come up with the words to describe what I'm working on, and I think your assessment of these threads will help others make a decisions as to whether they will work for them or not.

Robin Perfetti said...

Carollyn, I can't wait to see what you make with your samples! I submitted the color idea after you left your comment. I don't typically win these things, but I would still love to see a metallic black thread, nonetheless :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments. I have just bought the violet in the Liz metallic thread. Looking forward to getting the gold..

cocoya said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the metallic threads!!! :) I agree with Madtatter80 that you should sent in your suggestion to Handy Hands!! :)

ทางเข้า D2BET
Gclub

Rose Anne B said...

Thank you for this very useful examples etc. I've been shuttle tatting Irridescent with crystals and found it very rough, sticky like you mentioned plus the picots broke for me. I still love the metallic look!